Terasology Alpha 4 released few weeks ago, is an open source game born from a Minecraft-inspired tech demo and is becoming a stable platform for various types of gameplay settings in a voxel world.
Terasology Alpha 4 changelog
- Dialogs – added to lineup as it is now used in DynamicCities to let the player interact with NPCs (for the trading system for instance)
- DynamicCities – heavily updated since last as part of @Cpt. Crispy Crunchy’s GSOC project, may need to run it with MedievalCities enabled too (possible crash issue without?)
- Economy – a basic market economy setup for DynamicCities
- GooeysQuests – also lots of new stuff by @Florian since last. Beginning to feel more like a dungeon, certainly more dangerous
- Lakes – one of Crispy’s pre-GSOC experiments, makes both surface and underground lakes (even lava ones!), mixes well with the Caves module
- MedievalCities – first major new extension to DynamicCities, this one by @Skaldarnar inspired by his beautiful Gothic Village of ages past. Counts as a new “culture” for DC making it use the buildings defined here, developed with the help of the StructuralTemplates module. May be needed at the moment to get DC to run (but is not a hard dependency – just some crash issue getting in the way of the default setup)
- Potions – rewritten by @xtariq with some stuff extracted out of ThroughoutTheAges, split out to be useful alone for something like GooeysQuests. Lots of potions, with an Alchemy module waiting to be added soon to help craft them.
- Rails – fixed some first by @SkySom then @Michael and finally back in the lineup! Is back to working well enough to place carts on rails to play around with a bit, but certainly needs more work
- TutorialAssetSystem – development tutorial module put together by @oniatus some time back, related to how to use in-game assets in new modules
- TutorialDynamicCities – the tutorial module for DC
- TutorialGraphicTweaks – not quite in the lineup yet (pending an engine PR) but illustrates the new flexibility coming from @tdgunes’ GSOC project, allowing a shader to be developed in a module (I even tried making one myself!)
- TutorialNui – goes with @Rostyslav Zatserkovnyi’s GSOC project, its wiki covers his NUI editor and some of NUI itself (no actual tutorial code/assets yet, just the wiki)
- WeatherManager – older module that just wasn’t added to the lineup for some reason. Adds a minimal blocky cloud layer to the world along with a simulation of what the weather is, which admittedly isn’t illustrated much in-game yet (just in code/logs)
How to install Terasology Alpha 4 on Ubuntu 16.04
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb games" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'