The first beta release of Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak was recently last week and its available for download. The following images are avialbel for download Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio.
According to the annoucement, this beta release will ship with Kernel 4.4, LibreOffice 5.2, and a number of other software updates that are ready for wider testing.
Ubuntu 16.10 Release Highlight
Ubuntu GNOME 16.10
- includes GNOME 3.20.
- uses GTK3 version of LibreOffice
- GNOME’s Initial Setup utility is included and enabled.
- Empathy is no longer pre-installed
- new Characters character map utility
- The experimental wayland session is included.
Ubuntu Mate 16.10
- Migrated to GTK 3.20
- Updated to MATE Dock Applet 0.74
- Update and rebuild many MATE packages to improve GTK 3.20 support
- Removed MATE Heads-Up Display (HUD)
LUbuntu 16.10 still uses LXDE in the beta while LXQT is still in development.
Ubuntu Studio 16.10
- Added dgedit, drumgizmo, gpick, calibre, pdf-shuffler, plume-creator.
- Replaced gnome-color-manager with dispcalgui
- Replaced recordmydesktop with vokoscreen
- Updated multimedia packages
And Ubuntu Kylin 16.10 has fixed many internationalization and localization bugs in Ubuntu itself and bugs in software written by the Ubuntu Kylin team.
Future releases of Ubuntu 16.10:
- Beta 2: September 22nd
- Final Freeze: October 6th
- Ubuntu 16.10 Final: October 13th