Late last year SketchUp Make 2016 was released and all key important features where documented. Following request from few people on how to install it on Ubuntu OS, I have decided to do a small tutorial on howto install SketchUp on Ubuntu 16.04 using wine.
Update on SketchUp Make 2016 Maintenance release
- This maintenance release fixes a Windows-only bug introduced in the first release of SketchUp 2016, also known as “M0” [version numbers 16.0.19912 (Win 64-bit); 16.0.19911 (Win 32-bit)] where uninstalling SketchUp resets your default Internet browser. To avoid running into this issue, leave SketchUp 2016 “M0” installed prior to installing this update – i.e., install SketchUp 2016 M1 over your existing version of SketchUp 2016 M0.
- This maintenance release is for both Windows and OS X and addresses a number of issues.
- See complete list of updates
How to install Google SketchUp Make 2016 on Ubuntu 16.04 using Wine
Step 1: Install Wine 1.9.x
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging sudo apt-get install winehq-staging
- Configure Wine for SketchUp by installing additional packages if prompted
- First change the Windows Version to Windows 7
- Under Wine Configuration menu, click on Libraries and add ‘riched20’ as a new library. Apply changes
- Download Windows version of SketchUp Make 2016
- Right-click on the exe and click ‘Open with Wine Windows Program Loader‘
- Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation
- Open Sketch 2016 properties menu, under command, add ‘/DisableRubyAPI’ at the end
- Download the “mfc100u.dll” library frome here, and copy it in system32 wine folder. You can enable hidden folders under Nautilus with following key combination “ctrl+H”. In home folder, navigate to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ and copy it there.
- Launch SketchUp Make 2016