Budgie Remix Desktop 16.04 RC1 recently released, is designed with the modern user in mind, it focuses on simplicity and elegance. A huge advantage for the Budgie desktop is that it is not a fork of another project, but rather one written from scratch with integration in mind.
Budgie Remix Changelog since beta 2
- Revised installer options – direct installation on non-efi installs is hidden
- Updated Ubiquity Slideshow
- TLP, GNOME Calendar added as default applications
- Plank Dock is added by default. Icon-Tasklist applet not displayed by default
- budgie-xfdashboard removed as a default application – can be installed manually
- Clock centered on panel
- Vertex Themes added as an option – choose from Raven.
- Plank Dock can be Arc or Vertex themed – choose from Plank Preferences
- Wireless popup dialog now visible when network-manager attempts to connect
- Home folders correctly rename when changing to a non-english locale
- Pop-up notifications now visible.
- Plymouth fallback correctly displays “budgie-remix”
- Display budgie logo for desktop-session
- Fails to install on languages other than English (its believed this is a ubiquity bug). There is a known issue with the installer which often fails when you choose any language other than english. Install first in English and change the locale afterwards.
- sifr iconset is not always the default for libreoffice on install
- VirtualBox users you’ll need to install virtualbox guest additions
- Dual core/2 virtual core processors, 2Gb RAM
Some Hidden Features
- Dashboard: Press CTRL+TAB
- Raven: Super/Win+N
- Start Menu: Super/Win key
- Quick App: ALT+F2