GalliumOS an Xubuntu Based Linux OS for Chromebooks and Chromeboxes has just been introduced. GalliumOS is a fast and lightweight Linux distro for ChromeOS devices. GalliumOS includes optimizations that eliminate system stalls and improve overall responsiveness.
- Alternative kernel schedulers to prevent system stalls
- Removed some services to improve the boot time and reduce memory usage
- Zram for swap, which is a much faster swap than to disk
- Removed unnecessary kernel features/modules
- Compton as the compositor for tear free compositing
- Performs better than enabling Tear Free in the Intel graphics driver
- The kernel watchdog timer has been disabled.
- Disabled HDMI polling (that doesn’t prevent HDMI connections from working)
- Reduced the minimum GPU frequency
Integrated ChromeOS mouse driver provides a touchpad experience similar to ChromeOS
Faster boot up
Boot up time is faster than other Linux distros.
Built on Xubuntu
A fast, lightweight, beautiful, and fully functional desktop
Fixes for issues that affect ChromeOS devices and are not found in standard distros