The latest Chrome 48 Beta release, introduces Present to Cast with Custom Notification Buttons, and Network Estimation. The latest release of Chrome on Android now allows mobile sites to present to Google Cast devices using the standards-based Presentation API and the Cast Web SDK.
- In the latest Chrome release, sites can now add custom buttons to notifications, enabling users to complete tasks entirely within the notification.
- Developers can now use NetworkInformation.downlinkMax to detect a device’s maximum bandwidth so they can send the optimal resources for the connection speed. Sites can also respond to changes in connection quality using the NetworkInformation.onChange event handler.
- The new DevTools security panel enables developers to understand the security state of a page to help them migrate their websites to HTTPS.
- Sites can now use FontFaceSet more flexibly with several new iteration methods.
- WebRTC now supports the VP9 video codec, and can serve HD video at almost half the bandwidth of VP8 or H264.
- The MediaStreamTrack.remote attribute allows sites to detect if a media stream is from a remote source.
- Sites can now detect key presses from a user without worrying about browser type or operating system using the KeyboardEvent.code attribute.
- min-width:auto and min-height:auto now work for flex items without flex-basis:auto.
- Several getAll() methods have been added to IndexedDB to simplify bulk interactions.
- ServiceWorkerRegistration.update() no longer bypasses the cache for update checks within 24 hours, improving spec compliance.
- The error attribute on IDBRequest and IDBTransaction will now return DOMException instead of DOMError to improve Chrome’s spec compliance.
- The RC4 cipher is no longer supported over HTTPS connections due to several vulnerabilities.
- The MediaStreamTrack.getSources() method has been deprecated in favor of MediaDevices.enumerateDevices().
- SVGGraphicsElement.getTransformToElement has been removed to match the SVG spec.
- getSVGDocument() has been removed from HTMLFrameElement.prototype to match the spec.
- SVG glyph-orientation-horizontal and glyph-orientation-vertical properties have been removed in favor of the CSS text-orientation property.
- SVGElement.offset* properties and SVGPathSeg interfaces have been removed to improve spec compliance.
- The CSS plus-darker composite operator has been removed to increase spec compliance.
- The item() method has been removed from TextTrackList and TextTrackCueList to improve spec compliance.
- Developers can now build robust RTL text experiences using CSS Writing Modes Level 3 without prefixes.
- CSS font-feature-settings are no longer prefixed.
Install latest Chrome 48 Beta on Ubuntu OS and Derivatives:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list' wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install google-chrome-betacomments powered by Disqus