Spotify Client 1.0.7 beta for Linux has just been recently released and this release comes with a number of new features and bug fixes. All the various bugs with text/mouse input in the 0.9.x client; Like the client not giving up mouse focus; Or crashing on drag/drop; Or text input not working on some window managers, have all ben taken cared of.
New features in the 1.x client which are specific to the Linux client:
- “Now playing” notifications can be switched off in the settings page, and libnotify is a suggested (not recommended) package dependency.
- The WM_CLASS property should be set correctly (was broken in the first unofficial beta)
Known issues/limitations with the 1.x Linux beta client:
- Login with Facebook Connect does not work (there is a fix for this and it will be rolled out soon)
- There is no application menu
- There is no tray icon
- Some key bindings do not work yet, like ctrl+s for shuffle, etc.
- The application is super tiny on hi-res displays
- 32-bit builds are not available yet
Regarding the application menu, all functions from the menu are accessible in other places in the client. Preliminary design for the menu has been done for this feature.
The tray icon is a bit trickier; in the 0.9.x client we got this from QT, which is no longer used in the 1.x client. We are currently evaluating how to best re-implement this feature.
The font scaling and detection of hi-res displays is also tough to fix, but the good news is that the Linux client will soon have the “zoom” feature present in Mac/Windows along with the necessary key bindings, and this setting will be persisted between sessions. Users with hi-res displays will be able to use this feature to scale the client to an appropriate resolution. This fix will be rolled out in the near future.
As for the 32-bit builds, a working 32-bit build pipeline had been configured but further testing and double-checking of the integrity of the 32-bit builds is underway, so the 32-bit binary will be released soon.
Install Spotify Client 1.0.7 on Ubuntu OS
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list' sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 94558F59 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install spotify-clientcomments powered by Disqus