GNOME 3.16 is the latest version of GNOME 3, and is the result of six months’ work by the GNOME project. It includes major new features, as well as a large number of smaller improvements and enhancements. The release incorporates 33525 changes, made by approximately 1043 contributors. New features and improvements being introduced in GNOME 3.16 include:
- Notifications Reimagined
- GNOME 3’s notifications system has been overhauled for 3.16. The previous Message Tray has been replaced by a new message list that provides straightforward access to previous notifications, and notification pop-ups (called “banners”) have been repositioned in order to make them more noticeable and to prevent them from interfering with applications.
- The calendar drop down, which is accessed from the time indicator in the top bar, has also been redesigned for 3.16. Not only does it now present the notifications history, but it also shows event reminders and world times.
- Files Improvements
- The Files application has had a number of significant updates for 3.16. The grid and list views have been improved, so that they provide bigger thumbnails, easier to read rows, and have a more attractive appearance.
- File deletion has also been improved for 3.16, with the addition of a new, easy to discover undo feature. This allows files and folders to be moved to the trash using Delete alone, rather than the Ctrl+Delete keyboard combination.
- Boxes, the application for virtual and remote machines, has had a large number of user interface improvements for 3.16
- Major performance improvements have been made to Photos and Music.
- Documents now shows different views for recent documents and collections.
- Smart playlists have been added to Music, so you can view frequently played and recently added tracks. It is now also possible to star your favorite tracks.
- Search has been added to the standard file chooser dialog.
- Problem reporting controls have been added to Settings.
- The initial setup assistant now includes a section on privacy controls. Privacy has also been improved for geolocation (thanks to the use of HTTPS) and the Terminal (as scrollback is now encrypted).
- Automatic codecs installation, which has long been a GNOME feature, has been integrated into Software.
- See release note for more details
Install GNOME 3.16 on Ubuntu 14.10
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ricotz/testing sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Revert back the changes:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging sudo ppa-purge ppa:ricotz/testingcomments powered by Disqus