Audacious 3.6.1 recently released, is one of the best lightweight music player – is an advanced, feature rich music player for GNOME using GTK 3 interface. Its got a clean interface, with support for real-time audio effects, visualization, equalizer, lyrics and other plugins, themes (including Winamp Classic style), powerful configuration options and multiple playlists organized in tabs. Enjoy the modern GTK-themed interface or change things up with Winamp Classic skins. Use the plugins included with Audacious to fetch lyrics for your music, to set an alarm in the morning, and more.
Audacious 3.6.1 major changes from v3.6
- Bugs fixed include #511, #512, #518, #520, and #522
- A completely new Qt-based user interface, which can be installed alongside the existing GTK+ and Winamp Classic interfaces. The new interface is usable today but not yet as feature-rich as the existing interfaces. In future, it will be the basis of a Mac OS X port of Audacious—stay tuned.
- We have switched back to using GTK+ version 2.x by default. It has now been over three years since the release of GTK+ 3.0, and yet the “legacy” version of the toolkit provides more features relevant to Audacious, better cross-platform support, a more stable API, and lower memory usage. Audacious can still be built with GTK3 if desired, but we recommend the GTK2 variant for any desktop environment other than GNOME 3.
- The source code has been converted from C99 to C++11. In addition to making the Qt port easier, the use of C++11 is already allowing more rapid development by letting the compiler work out many details that previously had to be written by hand. The plugin API has also been changed to C++.
Requested Features brought back
- Double-size scaling of Winamp skins
- Searching by genre in the search tool plugin
- The playlist manager can be docked in the GTK+ interface
- Crossfading on seek and manual song change
- Support for “album artist” in song tags
- Search results are filtered by number of songs in the search tool plugin
- Cue files are automatically added to playlists and to the library
- Song lengths read from ID3 tags are sanity-checked
- Adjustable HTTP buffer size
- Optional calculation of a more accurate song length estimate for MP3 files
- Optional skipping of leading and trailing silence in MIDI files
- Restored settings dialog for the SID plugin
Install Audacious 3.6.1 on Ubuntu OS
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install audaciouscomments powered by Disqus