Xfce 4.12 a new stable version that supersedes Xfce 4.10 was recently released. Xfce is a lightweight, open-source desktop environment for Linux and Unix systems. It is based on GTK+2, and a partial support for GTK+3 implemented. This latest release focused more on polishing user experience on the desktop and window manager, and on updating some components to take advantage of newly available technologies.
Xfce 4.12 key highlights
- The window manager gained a new themable Alt+Tab dialog with optional windows preview and a list mode. Initial Client side decoration support was implemented, window tiling mode was improved providing support for corner-tiling, and a new zooming mode was added. A HiDPI Xfwm theme was also added.
- The panel can now intelligently hide itself, supports Gtk3 plugins, and saw lots of its third-party plugins updated to take full advantage of the features added in 4.10.
- The desktop has a new wallpaper settings dialog, per workspace wallpaper support, and better multi-monitor handling. It also supports displaying folder cover art and emblems on icons now.
- Our session manager was updated to use logind and/or upower if available for hibernate/suspend support. For portability and to respect our users’ choices, fallback modes were implemented relying on os-specific backends.
- Support for multi-monitor use was improved in a new display settings dialog and a quick setup popup on monitor plugging.
- The appearance dialog now showcases previews for icons and themes.
- Xfsettingsd now supports libinput.
- Power management was not forgotten: A new panel plugin was created, logind/upower support was added to handle battery/lid/brightness events, and locking via light-locker was implemented. The settings dialog was also revamped, and support for X11 screenblanking was added.
- see announcement for full details
Install Xfce 4.12 on Xubuntu 14.04 or Xubuntu 14.10
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12comments powered by Disqus