Syncthing is an open-source file synchronization client/server application, written in Go, implementing its own, equally free Block Exchange Protocol (BEP). The source code’s content-management repository is hosted on Github.
According to the developers: Syncthing replaces Dropbox and BitTorrent Sync with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it’s transmitted over the Internet.
Syncthing is still in development, although a large number of features have already been implemented:
- None of your data is ever stored anywhere else than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
- All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
- Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster
- Configure and monitor Syncthing via a responsive and powerful interface accessible via your browser.
- Works on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris. Run it on your desktop computers and synchronize them with your server for backup.
- Syncthing doesn’t need IP addresses or advanced configuration: it just works, over LAN and over the Internet. Every machine is identified by an ID. Just give your ID to you friends, share a folder and watch: uPnP will do if you don’t want to port forward or you don’t know how.
- Synchronize as many folders as you need with different people.
Latest release v0.8.14 introduces mandatory CSRF protection and API keys
- Test against travis-ci
- Allow prioritization of downloads based on name
- Let server side decide if restart is needed on config change
- Reject index for existing repo from unshared node
- Remove extra whitespace around node ID
- Implement API keys
- Implement CSRF protection for REST interface
- Tweak Shared With wording
- Clarify repo mismatch message
- Use unique name and O_EXCL for temporary indexes
Install Syncthing in Ubuntu 14.04
wget https://github.com/calmh/syncthing/releases/download/v0.8.14/syncthing-linux-386-v0.8.14.tar.gz tar -xvf syncthing-linux-386-v0.8.14.tar.gz cd syncthing-linux-386-v0.8.14 ./syncthing
wget https://github.com/calmh/syncthing/releases/download/v0.8.14/syncthing-linux-amd64-v0.8.14.tar.gz tar -xvf syncthing-linux-amd64-v0.8.14.tar.gz cd syncthing-linux-amd64-v0.8.14 ./syncthing
[button link=”http://discourse.syncthing.net/t/getting-started/46″ style=”info” color=”primary”]Configure Syncthing[/button]comments powered by Disqus