OpenRA is a Libre/Free Real Time Strategy game engine that recreates the early Westwood games like the classic Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Distributed mods include a reimagining and updating of both the Red Alert and Command & Conquer multiplayer games
According to the developers, ‘We include recreations of C&C (Tiberian Dawn), C&C: Red Alert, and Dune 2000. These are not intended to be perfect copies, but instead combine the classic gameplay of the originals with modern improvements such as unit veterancy and the fog of war.
OpenRA’s primary focus is cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, OS X, and Linux; however, we include a number of single-player missions, and also support skirmish games against AI bots’.
OpenRA June Release Preview
Brief summary of key changes in v20140608:
- Significant UI improvements for selecting mods, the game lobby, replays, and spectating.
- Dramatic load-time improvements.
- Beacons for signaling team-mates and observers, and viewing the status of support powers.
- Aircraft and helicopters can now attack-move, guard, and be guarded by ground units.
- Vehicle husks can now be destroyed or captured.
- The RA mod now includes the Phase transport and a new Soviet Hijacker infantry.
- The D2K mod now includes concrete, the Grenadier, and a collection of graphical improvements.
- The TD mod received a collection of balance improvements, and several new maps.
- Our Tiberian Sun mod saw significant development, but will not be ready for several more months.
The full list of important changes are available on the wiki.
Install OpenRA Game
wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add - sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb games" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list' sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install openracomments powered by Disqus