FreeCAD is a multiplatform parametric 3D modeler which allows you to easily modify your design by going back into your model history and changing its parameters. FreeCAD is open source (LGPL license) and completely modular, allowing for very advanced extension and customization.
FreeCAD features tools similar to Catia, SolidWorks or Solid Edge, and therefore also falls into the category of MCAD, PLM, CAx and CAE. It is a feature based parametric modeler with a modular software architecture which makes it easy to provide additional functionality without modifying the core system.
- A Sketcher with constraint-solver, allowing to sketch geometry-constrained 2D shapes
- A Robot simulation module that allows to study robot movements
- A Drawing sheets module that permit to put 2D views of your 3D models on a sheet
- A Rendering module that can export 3D objects for rendering with external renderers
- An Architecture module that allows BIM-like workflow, with IFC compatibility
- Import/export to standard formats such as STEP, IGES, OBJ, STL, DXF, SVG, STL, DAE, IFC or OFF, NASTRAN, VRML in addition to FreeCAD’s native Fcstd file format
- FreeCAD is multi-platform. It runs and behaves exactly the same way on Windows Linux and Mac OSX platforms.
- FreeCAD is a full GUI application
- FreeCAD also runs as a command line application, with low memory footprint.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install freecad freecad-doccomments powered by Disqus