In this post, I will show us how to clone a Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox. The version of VirtualBox I am working with is v4.2.10.
– Launch the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager
– Right-Click on the VM you intend to clone and click Clone…
– Enter a new name for the clone VM and check the box “Reinitialize the MAC address for all network cards“. Note checking this box will generate new mac address for the clone VM to avoid duplicate.
– Select Full clone for Clone Type
– Click Clone for the cloning process to begin
Note: The system will create a new folder and .vdi file for the new clone VM in same location as the original VM you cloned.
– After cloning is completed, the new VM should now appear in list of VMs
– When the original VM and the cloned VM both have virtual hard drives that have the same “hard drive UUID”, this may cause problems due to duplicate UUID. To validate this, simply navigate to the following location “
– Sysprep the OS of the newly cloned VM to avoid duplicate SID in Active Directory. Remember you will need to join the new cloned VM to the domain with a new hostnamecomments powered by Disqus