Skype 1.5 for Linux Alpha now released, and this comes with it a couple of few improvements and bug fixes to improve on its needed users experience. One notable improvement in this update is “Presence status icon sizes in the Tray have been improved on some distributions”.
Highlights of Skype 1.5 for Linux Alpha
- Voice messaging audio now works.
- Mojis now work with audio.
- You can now silence notification sounds and turn off messaging notifications completely in ‘Settings’.
- We’ve disabled the ability to drag & drop a URL into Skype which opens the browser in the application.
- Presence status icon sizes in the Tray have been improved on some distributions.
Below is some requested features by tneo
- Left mouse-click in tray opens Skype window, now I have to do right mouse-click -> open Skype
- Settings for sounds and notifications split out
- Sorting of users based upon current online status
- Creating and maintaining groups
- @mention should always show even with notifications suppressed
Comment below what new features you would like Skype to add to its ever growing Linux updates
How to Install Skype 1.5 for linux Alpha on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus), Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet), Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux_184.108.40.206_amd64.deb sudo gdebi skypeforlinux_220.127.116.11_amd64.deb