The Xubuntu team has just announced the immediate release of Xubuntu 16.04. Xubuntu 16.04 is an LTS (Long-Term Support) release and will be supported for 3 years. A notable change in this release is the replacement of Ubuntu Software Center with GNOME software.
Highlights and Known Issues
- New community wallpapers
- Ubuntu Software Centre replaced by GNOME Software
- Thunar is the subject of a few bugs, though they all appear to revolve around similar issues. We have 2 patches applied that, while not completely fixing the issue, do lessen the impact.
- When returning from lock, the cursor disappears on the desktop, you can bring the cursor back with Ctrl+Alt+F1 followed byCtrl+Alt+F7
- Mugshot crashes when capturing image with camera. Camera currently disabled.
- Albatross, Bluebird and Orion GTK+ themes have been dropped since they do not support newer GTK3 versions
Changes for other version
- New Xfce Power Manager plugin is added to the panel
- Items in the alt-tab dialog can now be clicked with the mouse
- Change from gksudo to pkexec, pkexec policy files included for thunar and mousepad
- New/Updated Xubuntu Light/Dark colorschemes in Mousepad, Terminal
- Mousepad colorscheme set to Xubuntu Light by default
- Better appearance for QT applications out of the box (default to GTK theme)
- Xfce4 Panel Switch for backup and restoration of panels. Included are 5 preset panel layouts.
- LibreOffice Calc and Writer are now included. These applications replace Gnumeric and Abiword respectively.
- A new theme for LibreOffice, libreoffice-style-elementary is also included.<
- Greybird accessibility icons for window manager.
See changelog for full details