League of Legends is a fast-paced, competitive online game that blends the speed and intensity of an RTS with RPG elements. Two teams of powerful champions, each with a unique design and play style, battle head-to-head across multiple battlefields and game modes. With an ever-expanding roster of champions, frequent updates and a thriving tournament scene, League of Legends offers endless replay ability for players of every skill level.
In this tutorial, I will test-run the game on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit running on a Virtualbox. Please note that this is just a test to see how the game plays out on an intel graphics card. League of Legends is now supported on PlayOnLinux.
Step 1: Install PlayOnLinux
– Click link below and follow instructions to successfully install PlayOnLinux on Ubuntu 14.04
Step 2: Install Dependencies
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils mono-complete
Step 3: Install League of Legends
– Open PlayOnLinux > click Install > search ‘League of legends’ > then select the game and click the ‘Install’ button
– On welcome screen, click Next
– Select ‘Download the program’ > click Next
– Click Install to install both Wine Mono package & Gecko package. Next note the warning message and click Next
– On the games install Shield wizard screen > click Next > Accept the License > Select Complete > Leave default install folder > Click Install to begin installation
– After install is finished, note to uncheck the box ‘Launch League of Legends’ as earlier warned
Step 4: Install TuxLoL
– Since Wine is not able to handle mipmaps from textures smaller than one block, TuxLoL is intended to patch these files from League of Legends to make the game run
cd ~ wget https://bitbucket.org/Xargoth/tuxlol/downloads/tuxlol-0.1-dd62ba8-bin.tar.gz tar -xvf tuxlol-0.1-dd62ba8-bin.tar.gz cd tuxlol-0.1-dd62ba8-bin mono tuxlol.exe patch --dir /home/[username here]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/LeagueOfLegends/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends/
Note: You’ll have to reapply this patch every-time you update League Of Legends
– Start the Game, wait for it to update. Note that this bit would take some time
– When the update is completed, you will notice the play button is now Active.
– Now sign-in with your account and enjoy the game 🙂
– If you notice the in game item store icons are big, as sited by Culnamo, follow steps below to fix this
cd /home/[username here]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/LeagueOfLegends/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends/RADS/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/[0.0.0.XXX]/deploy/DATA/menu/hud
– Open the file corresponding to the resolution you play with. For example hud1680x1050.ini
Add these lines and save: